Thursday, September 30, 2010

Yellow

[[This is a poem that I wrote back in High School. The assignment was to write a free verse and non-rhyming poem that reflected a mask of "the real me." My teacher's advice was to put more literary devices in it, but I haven't yet; a friend of mine was pestering me about not posting something new, so I had to put something up soon. Sorry that school is a little bit busy...]]


Yellow

Yellow. What a happy color.
Just the sound of it is the Wal-Mart Smiley Face.
It makes you smile when you see it,
Or maybe it's the low prices...or the service?
In any case it is the color that I try to symbolize my life after.


Yellow is energy throughout the day.
Yellow is rich and plentiful.
Yellow was used by the Chickasaw Tribe--my Tribe.
It is their symbol of piece and hope, along with white.
Yellow is kindness to a stranger.
Yellow is trying to make everyone feel welcome.


But, oh man sometimes I just want to ask,
"Why can't you just jump into the activities
Without making me feel obligated to
Give you special attention?
I've introduced you to loads of people!
Get comfortable already!"


That's when I go from Yellow
To Orange
To Red
To sometimes even Black.
But this is rare and often not manifested.


Green is the color of my eyes and life.
Could there be a better combination?
I think not.
But this is my pride talking,
Which mainly comes out in Red moments.


Large green eyes full of life and exploration.
Eyes large enough to see opportunities in all situations,
And open enough to try new things, and all things.


Not so complimentary to my life-filled eyes
Are the bags of exhaustion
Underneath, due to my willingness and interest
In doing everything I can.
"You're starting a new club?
I'll join!"
"You need help painting your house?
I'll be there!"
"In need of someone willing to do odd jobs, you say?
You got her!"


Dark circles sometimes overtake the life in me,
Trying to bring me down,
Trying to make me quit.


But Life will prevail!
As long as there is a Yellow smiling face,
Giving support and confidence,
Green will continue to grow.
I will continue to live and be Yellow.

No comments:

Post a Comment